|This Web site contains information on activities of the National Geologic Map Database Project (NGMDB). The NGMDB is a collaborative effort primarily involving the USGS and the Association of American State Geologists. This Web site contains informal, generally time-sensitive material intended for project members, cooperators, and interested
Background Information --
Developing digital publication
guidelines for geologic maps
The Data Information Exchange Working Group is charged with developing certain proposed guidelines for producers of digital geologic maps -- specifically, what standard types of files should be "packaged" into a digital geologic map, to promote useability?
- Working Group members
- Early (10/96) guidelines for submission of maps to the National Geologic Map Database
- Draft Working Group Report -- Proposed Guidelines for inclusion of digital map products in the National Geologic Map Database
- Working Group draft Guidelines presented for discussion and revision at the "Digital Mapping Techniques '99" meeting
- A version of these proposed Guidelines was in 1999 adopted by the USGS as Policy for
Publication of Geologic Maps
- The revised draft Guidelines were submitted for comment to the AASG Digital Geologic Mapping Committee. In 2002, these Guidelines were adopted by the AASG as a formal Resolution, to be included as Guidelines in subsequent STATEMAP RFPs.
- The Guidelines for digital STATEMAP products
are included in the STATEMAP Program Announcement and Request for Proposals ("RFP"),
which is available
online. These Guidelines will periodically be reviewed by this Working Group, and suggested modifications will be submitted to the AASG and USGS.
Return to the NGMDB project
This page is
Maintained by Dave Soller
last update: Oct. 22, 2003